Saturday, March 21, 2020

12 Bar Blues Revisited, pt. VI – The Turnaround and Quick Change

Since I began this series of posts on the 12 bar blues the musical examples I've have used applied it’s most basic form. This month I’ll close out the topic by covering two other of its forms: the turnaround and quick change.

A 12 bar blues which uses a “turnaround” is one where the last bar or twelfth bar of the progression is a “V” instead of “I” chord. It is so named a “turnaround” because it turns around to the beginning of the progression. Using a “V” chord at the end of the progression will either lead the song back to the start (so it can be repeated) or act as a cadence - the “I” chord will be played after the “V” to complete the progression. Here is and turnaround example to practice with.

A “quick change” is a commonly used variation of the 12 bar blues and it is one in which the second bar “I” chord is replaced by “IV”. It is aptly named as it quickly changes from a “I” to “IV” chord instead of staying on the one for four bars. This quick change example also has a turnaround at the end.

Try having students use basic blues progressions in as many different keys as possible to gain familiarity with not only the progression, but chords and keys as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment